Friday, April 22, 2005

Speaka da English?

We just did an overnight boat trip to Ha Lon Bay, of which we saw bugger all, they forgot to wake us at 6.30am so we missed the whole point of the frickin tour, and snoozed all the way past ha lon bay!! i was soooo angry i nearly let rip (god, that would be frightening i hear you say, an angry katy)... but they also didn't waken these 3 french girls and one of them was well mad and quite scarey so i thought i'd let her do the talking, i just stood behing her going " yeah! what she said!" and shaking my fist.

We didnt miss a lot tho, and what we saw was incredible, thousands of islands and strange rock formations jutting from the sea, and discarded scenery from the lord of the rings set, well that's what it looked like anyway! it was GORJUS. The boat we slept on was a big old-style sail boat - having missed a lot of sleep through travelling by night i really, really didn't want to sleep on a boat, but there was a mix up at the booking office (again! am starting to wonder if maybe my communication skills with foreigners needs a little ... tweaking?! i thought that the louder you shouted english the more they understood: " NO SLEEPY ON BOATY!! I'VE NOT HAD MUCH SLEEP AND I WANT A HO - TEL!! O - KAY?? WITH A BED!! NO SLEEPY ON ROCKY BOATY WITH WAVESEYS, OKAY! GOOD! See han? Who needs to learn another language when everyone speaks english?). So, worried about not sleeping i used my age old method of assuring a good night's sleep; i downed a lot of the local beer whilst playing made-up card games with han and paul and tibor (If we'd have been playing with money i'd have been rich i tells ya, seems my cards skills, like my pool skills, get better with beer). This did the trick as i was soundo as soon as my head hit the pillow, despite the loud vietnamese TV being played directly above our cabin. Awoke at 8 to find we'd missed brekkie AND seeing the island! so had cold eggs and manky local bread and read my book, sulking, all the way back to land.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that I helped someone sleep better by letting them win at cards. I fulfilled my destiny as the person that makes everyone look good at playing cards, and it warms my soul that it went to a higher good (sleep) instead of something evil like money...

Thanks for the memories, and I'm glad to hear your bus trips are getting more adventurous. Your expectations should be low enough now that anything is the lap of luxury!

Paul the card shark (or is that card minnow?)

7:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter