Thursday, December 22, 2005

Teacher wanted, don't mind the BEARS

What I'm about to suggest may be tainted by what I've said so far, especially about the weather and about teaching the children, but let me explain, they're not that bad. Well, actually, part of that is a big fat lie, the weather is actually that bad... it snowed again last weekend, and now walking through the park is hazardous because every now and again you'll hear a crackle and a thud, and a huge chunk of melted ice will fall from the tree as it melts in the sun. But the children aren't so bad, I think it's the 'language barrier', or 'heavy re-inforced language titanium wall' in my case. They're sweet really (one brings me chocolate every week, hee hee! screw the apple and bring on the ferrero rocher! oh yeah! Give that kid a ten point bonus!) Anyway, when i'm talking, i s'pose all they can hear is
"blah blah blah fart blah blah"
Which i s'pose is quite amusing when you're 9 (or me). Like when homer tells santa's little helper off and thinks the dog can understand, and the dogs just sat there vacantly staring at him, hearing:
"BLAH blah, blah blah blah blah BLAH, blah BLAH, BLAH blah blah blah" instead of
"BAD dog, dohnuts not for YOU, for ME, DON'T eat the dohnuts".

So anyway, back to my point, the hours at the school have increased and my boss will need another teacher in January, and I was wondering if anyone wanted to come and live and teach in My Mountains?
You need a degree or teaching experience, or CELTA-type thingy. My boss has asked me to ask round cos the new teacher'll be living and working with me and the other teacher. So what better way to advertise than 'ere?? I shall of course be screening all applicants, and you have to conform to more than 2 of the following:

1) extrememly entertaining with a wit to rival that of the great masters of comedy
2) able to sup and like standing rounds
3) very houseproud, preferably with a penchant for cleaning other peoples mess up and doing their ironing and getting their shopping for them when they're a bit tired from teaching or going out and giving them foot massages when they've had a hard day's teaching.
4) able to translate Scrubbs from italian to english
5) able to describe the difference between the second and third conditional ( apparently it does exist, who'd have thought!) in very slow, detailed, layman's terms being prepared to be asked lots of seemingly pointless and irrelevant questions until comprehension is complete (my comprehension)
6) own and be prepared to bring over a large sound system and DVD player with wide screen tv and an extensive collection of films
7) own and be prepared to bring over and surrender an electric blanket and thermal sleeping bag able to withstand arctic conditions

(Of couse if you're a fit bloke bypass all of the above and send me a photo)

You have my email address, so if anyone fancies it lemme know.

... And don't let this put you off, but i feel it only fair to mention. I asked my students a question that has been bothering me since my arrival in the wilderness of the mountains the other day. Yes, I asked them whether or not there are bears in the mountains... and their reply was affirmative. I know, I know, after my initial reaction of fear and loathing and shaken and distraught at this drastic turn of events, I asked for more information. Apparently in Scanno (beautiful nearby village with stunning lake) in the summer they come down from the mountains to scavenge. Whilst it took me a long time to process this information and overcome my instinct to run from the classroom to the bus stop, catch the next bus to rome and fly home, I have now come to terms with the fact and rationalised that if I see a bear, which they were emphatic is highly unlikely, my flight instinct will overcome my fight instinct and I'll grab the nearest person to me (preferably a frail old lady) shove her towards the beast, and fly like the wind.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SOOO what is wrong with the 2 hot water bottles i bought you for christmas ???? electric blanket indeedly AND ALSO ! i got you a sleepin bag which i found out the bill! tch tch. some folk are never satisfied.
mmmmm teaching kids who scaraggia and bears who scavenge and then possibly scarreggia eh ?? does sound tempting i must say. i expect you will be inundated with calls, wish i had a degree !

7:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

merry fookin' christmas one and all!!

11:53 am  
Blogger Katy Bangkok said...

what sentiment tollick, beautiful, really beautiful, couldn't have put it more concisely myself!
hope you had a good one!

2:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where in tarnation are ye girl ? have you been eaten by bears ?

2:27 pm  
Blogger Katy Bangkok said...

Perish the thought! And I hardly think that being eaten by bears is a suitable topic for jokes mother, please try to remember there are people out here not as crude and insensitive as yourself...

Nothing of note has happened, s'pose i could make stuff up, but there's no giant cockroaches or bat caves or human-eating fish or indiana jones-type ancient temples or other fodder for inspiration in Sulmona really. Am gonna try skiing down My Mountains next week so that will prolly result in some disasterous event taking place, and i'm sure that at least one of my bones will be broken... which should be mildly entertaining.

Watch this space!

4:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wor Surferchick,

haven't heard from you in ages - how is your new language coming along? Have you seen any bears? Have you been getting jiggy with any dark and handsome men?!

On a more random note, it is "Squirrel Appreciation Day" this Saturday (I'm not shitting you). It is that time of the year when the squirrel is out of hibernation and running low on its stock of resources that it hid in the ground before Christmas. Magpies, other squirrels, bugs and even small children will have found the reserves and eaten them up, so we need to get out there and help the little fellas by providing them with nuts and berries. I hope you will be trekking into your local mountains and finding some squirrels to appreciate?!?!

9:33 am  
Blogger Katy Bangkok said...

'sup tony? how did yer santa running type charidee thing go? How are the kids with enlarged hands?
Nowt much happening here in the land of the beautiful, nope, still seen no bears, and can we PLEASE stop talking about them? Just let it go, orite? I get scared.
Talking of fearsome evil creatures, you - are - avin - a - larf intcha?? "Squirrel appreciation day"??? I can think of nothing more galling than a day devoted to the fury little feckers. You are having a larf anyway, as if kids would run up trees and take squirrel food, even small children, who are notoriously stupid (that's why they go to school) aren't that retarded! And like even a dumb bug would risk it! Only unless they were suicidal...hmmm, I s'pose, maybe a random kamikazee mouse would venture into a squirrels lair. But no, the whole thing wreaks of made-upness, and i don't believe you one bit!

8:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Katy,

yes the santa dash went very well thankyou - I managed to raise £600 for the children with enlarged hands - like all good scousers they are now spending the money on crack and hookers.

Indeed you may "think" that I am taking the roger with the Squirrel Appreciation Day, but hark not!! I have the proof:

http://www.holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/January/squirrelappreciation.htm

Check this site out, it clearly explains the reasoning behind this event of appreciative proportions, who started it and a little bit of a background on these furry, aggressive, bushy tailed rodents.

12:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

talken of squirrels (not bears !!)our MP is bringan it to the attention of the govment that we oughda ave a cull on the grey ones cos loike, you see loadsa grey ones but loike when did you last see a red one loike ? cos am sure i aint never seed a red one only in beatrix potter ! farr more n likely to see a bear in fact (whoopsy sorry ) dint mean to be a scarin ya maid

5:41 pm  
Blogger Katy Bangkok said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:27 pm  
Blogger Katy Bangkok said...

Yeah but no but did y'all see where that site was based?? in a good ole southern state of the U.S of A. Carolina none the less, and everyone knows they's all reeeelayted and a bit mental down there, they prolly have a hug-an-alligator-and-show-you-care-day too.

The MP in the south of england has a much more realistic outlook on squirrels and i'm glad that this important contemporary issue is being dealt with by the government.

9:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter